As the consumer, you have the right to. . .
- Verify that the contractor has the proper license and insurance for his/her profession.*
- Ask for and check the contractor's references.*
- Not hire any contractor that has an out of state address.
- Have a written contract between you and the contractor listing the specifics of the job and any materials being used. The state of Massachusetts requires any job over $1000 (One Thousand Dollars) to be in writing. This does not bar you from requesting the details of a job to be in writing for any amount, even less than $1000.
- Not to agree to any additional work without a written agreement between you and the contractor specifying the details of the added job.
- Have a pay schedule between you and the contractor. This should be specified in the contract with regards to deposit, frequency and amount of payments, and any finance charge.
Tell us about your experience using one of our prescreened providers by clicking here
Disclaimer: Inclusion of services through this program does not represent a recommendation or guarantee of work performance from the Brookline Council on Aging, the Brookline Senior Center, or the Brookline Community Aging Network.